Maternity and Newborn Sessions
When should I call to schedule my maternity and newborn sessions?
- The earlier the better! It's best to schedule your maternity and newborn sessions at least 4-6 months before your estimated due date. This gives us plenty of time to plan the perfect sessions for you and your little one. And, if baby comes early, we will already be prepared leaving you with no last minute stress!
When is the best time to do maternity sessions?
- Maternity sessions are best during weeks 28-36 of pregnancy. At this point you will be far enough along to have a nice round baby bump, but not too far along that you will be miserable during your shoot. That being said, if you are past 36 weeks, call us anyway! This is a very special time in your life and we want to help you remember it!
When is the best time to do newborn sessions?
- Newborn sessions are best during the first 6-14 days of baby's life. This gives both mom and baby (and sometimes dad :) a little bit of time to recover but still early enough for baby to still like to be all curled up. When you call and schedule a newborn session we will make a tentative date and then, once your little one arrives, call us and we will coordinate an actual date and time for your session to take place. If your baby is already born, don't panic! We can usually do newborn sessions for babies up to 3 months and still get a few sleepy pictures along with newly bright-eyed ones!
How long will our newborn session last?
- Sessions can last anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on baby. I am never in a hurry with a newborn. The longer baby stays happy and sleepy, the smoother the session will be. It's best to be prepared for a 3 hour session and if we get done early, hooray! Every baby is different so I always allow more than enough time for feedings, diaper changes, baby settling and set changes.
Do we need to provide our own props and backgrounds?
- I have plenty of blankets, props, etc., but I also encourage all my parents to bring in props that mean something special to them. A crocheted blanket made by Grandma Helen, mom and/or dad's military uniforms, the stuffed elephant from Aunt Chelsea, or anything else that may bring a little something special to your newborn's session. If we are shooting at your home I may bring a few things but I will mostly pull from things from your home.
What about all those cute poses? Will we be able to do them all?
- We will attempt to do any pose you like, however, babies have likes and dislikes. Some babies hate to lie on their stomach and some hate to lie on their back! Some babies will refuse to curl up and touch their toes to their nose. We will try lots of different poses but I will never force baby into a position that baby is not comfortable with. And remember, baby's safety is our #1 priority so we will never attempt a pose that we feel will compromise baby's safety. Don't worry, we will get plenty of poses regardless.
What happens after my session?
- Once your session is complete, I will edit all the best images and then present them to you at your Viewing and Ordering consult which will take place 1 week after your session. You will get to see a slideshow set to music of all your images and then you will be able to choose from a variety of prints and products in which to enjoy your photographs! My only goal is to help you select and purchase products you desire and nothing more. If you're happy, I'm happy! Once your order is placed, it will take 3-4 weeks to process, print and deliver.
What if I need to reschedule or cancel my session due to sickness, weather, etc.?
- If someone is sick, let’s reschedule. I will always reschedule sessions if I am ill because no one needs any extra germs, especially baby! Please Lt me know, asap, of you need to reschedule. If for some reason I never receive a phone call, email, Facebook message or you show up to a shoot more then a half an hour late without a legitimate 24 hour notice then we will reschedule, and a $100 fee will be charged to cover the sitting fee. Weather issues will mostly pertain to maternity shoots, as newborn shoots are performed indoors. If the weather is iffy I will contact you early on, however we will not call off a photo-shoot until we absolutely have to. Cloudy days are great days for photos but if the weather is not conducive to what we have planned, then we will reschedule. You will not be charged a $100 fee if we have to reschedule due to weather.
You're the photographer for us! What do I do now?
- Wonderful!! The first thing to do is contact me regarding availability. You can do so by clicking HERE. I would love to talk more with you so we can get to know each other and determine what plan works best! We will schedule an in-person consultation to discuss all the details such as what kind of artwork you are looking for, which locations would be cool, what outfits to wear, props and anything else you can think of! If we both agree we can't live without each other then I will collect your creation fee and schedule your session! I look forward to working with you and your precious new little one!